Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Akasaka

I introduced my mom to Akasaka for her birthday a couple months ago. She's a huge lover of sushi and my dad is a huge lover of food-that-doesn't-cost-a-lot-of-money-but-is-plentiful. That being said, Akasaka is a great combination of both! The chirashi bowl is the biggest seller. The very first time I went there, I thought I could eat an entire bowl by myself. It destroyed me. And then it destroyed me this time as well. Chirashi Bowl - 2, ChouDown - 0.

complimentary miso soup

complimentary salad/lettuce

chirashi bowl

fried shrimp heads for sweet shrimp included in chirashi

chicken karrage meal

grilled sama meal

agedashi tofu

unagi-don

complimentary ice cream with Hershey's syrup

All this for five people? We definitely over-ordered. The chirashi bowl may not look like much from my above-shot pictures, but that bowl is DEEP (there's a better picture from Yelp here). There must be ten slices of just salmon sashimi in it, along with tuna, yellowtail, albacore, spicy tuna, octopus salad, shrimp/crab salad, a sweet shrimp, a scallop, large fish roe, and uni. There are probably a few more items that I'm forgetting. Brother thought that the chicken and grilled fish would be smaller, appetizer sized portions. The waitress should have warned us before we got all this food! Fail.

The place gets super busy and packed, but you can call and make reservations ahead of time. I strongly suspect there is only one sushi chef and she has to work like a madwoman. When we first got there it was ok, but as the dinner hour went by it got more and more insane. At the end, it took us 20 minutes to get the check. Brother was enraged but since he was only rushing to get home so he could watch a streaming Starcraft 2 tournament, I wasn't too concerned.

Akasaka Restaurant
14926 Clark Ave, Hacienda Heights, CA 91745

No comments:

Post a Comment